[ST] front brake squeal

About 2k ago I noticed my front brakes start to squeal. It sounds somewhat
like a wear indicator, but apparently it is not, since i had my 18K service
since and they told me the fronts were fine (but the rears were shot...no
surprise). The brakes seem to work just dandy, but that squeal is just
annoying. Any ideas what this is? Anything I should check?

I thought about removing the front brakes to take a look at the pads,
thinking maybe they were dirty or something, but having never worked on a
bike before I'm not in a hurry to go pulling stuff off without a damn good
idea of what I'm supposed to do. I searched the archives and I think I have
the general idea, but I'd like to be sure I know what I'm supposed to do.
Can anyone point me to a place where there is a proceedure for removing the
brakes, including the "hey, stupid, don't do this" things to avoid?

Thanks,
Roger
'00 ST (black)