Re: [ST] Insult to injury and loud pipes

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 06:34:53PM -0600, Scott wrote:
> Besides, it is an academic point. Deer around here could care less
> about how loud your pipes might be. They routinely stand on the edge of
> the pavement on our local Interstate grazing whilst 18 wheeler tractor
> trailers whiz by at 80+mph, and they seldom even look up to see what is
> going by them. Personally, I think they are deaf or at the very least,
> suicidal. ;-)

Heh, I was riding S down 191 in Utah one evening on my circuitous
way home from the 02 Western Rallye.  I wanted to make it to Devil's
Canyon SP and set up camp before dark, which wasn't far off, but there
were deer warning signs everywhere:  "Deer, next 5 miles," "For real,
deer ahead," "Slow down, you WILL see deer," or something to that
affect.

The only other vehicle out there was an 18 wheeler up ahead.  I settled
in behind him, thinking I'd let him run interference for me and scare
away roadside bambis.

We come up on a bridge over a creek, and I spot a couple of large deer
on the very edge of the road up on the left.  I slow down to about
45mph.  The semi roars by them at a distance of no more than 20 feet,
making a noise like a TIE Fighter.  They munch away and do not even
look up.

I toodle up on them, and one sees me and gets a look of panic.  I
braked a little and prepared for more.  They bolted, luckily away from
the road.

All I can figure is they're used to cars and trucks, but a bike is small
enough to warrant evaluation as some sort of predator.  But that might
be giving their simple minds too much credit.

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (one of the now extinct black ones)
Dallas, TX