[ST] Non-ST, Computing on the road

I'd like to do route planning, like MS Streets and Trips, on the road during
a ride around the US.

I'd like to use an Ipaq because they are light and small.  However, all the
mapping programs I've found can only handle at most a couple states to a
card.  So If I want to plan a route from Maine to Illinois to Florida I have
to use multiple cards and plan the route from state border to state border.

If I step up to a notebook I'm a bit concerned about vibration/bumps and the
durability of the components on the motorcycle without using an entire bag
full of padding.

So my question is, has anyone found a PDA with sufficient software or good
durable notebook to take on the road?  Thanks.

Doug Bailey

  *