[ST] Re: Honda 954RR

I think the Honda is a great bike! Super light, unbelievable brakes (see(see
story below about my crash), great value for the money (I got mine for about
500 below retail), and reasonable ergos compared to any other bike in its
class, except the Aprilia Mille R.

I bought mine June 1st to use when I was on work related travel in
Albuquerque NM (I live in Minneapolis but travel down to Abq every other
week for the next year). Insurance was very high though, about 3 times what
I pay for the Sprint ST--the insurance lady told me the average owner
profile is someone between 18 and 25, rides too fast without equipment, ends
up road kill 4 times out of 10 (not that I have anything to bragg about--45
years old, riding thirty years, and still crashed mine in the first week of
ownership<g>).

How I Spent My Summer:

My Honda 954RR was one week old when I decided to join a group ride in
Albuquerque NM for a Sunday ride up Sandia Crest (9,500feet above sea level,
fourteen miles up a very tight and twisty road).

We made it up to the Crest as a group in about 30 minutes.  After peeling
leathers and telling tales, we suited up again and exited the parking lot to
head home.  I chose to take last position due to my unfamiliarity with the
road (I'm from Minneapolis).

About 1 mile down the road, I passed the bike in front of me at about 50mph,
unaware that there was a hair pin turn coming up.  I apparently hit the
brakes, locked the wheels and the bike I went down (I say apparently because
I have no memory of the accident).

I skidded down the road for approx 50 feet before entering the turn, then
high-sided when I hit the shoulder of the turn.  Upon high-siding, I slammed
into a small solid rock facing that stood between me and 8,500 feet of
nothing.

The resulting injuries were as follows:

1. Concussion and brain contusion
2. Broken left pelvis (split in half)
3. All ribs on my left side broken
4. Collapsed left lung
5. Five broken lower vertebrae
6. Most of the bones in my left foot broken.
7. General ill feeling all around since in 30 years of riding I've never
really been hurt!

I woke up 11 hours later, with no memory of the accident or the helicopter
ride I took to get to down the mountain (darn). I never saw the bike again;
the insurance guy, bless his heart, handed me (well, my wife) a check the
very next day for total cost of the bike minus 32 cents per mile (like I
said, the bike was only a week old!).

Take Care, and wear your gear (mine saved my life).

Jay