Re: [ST] Heated Grip Connector (and wiring)???

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 lau8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm going to try installing the Kimpex heated grips soon.  I think I have all
> the parts I need, but does anyone know where I can find a compatible connector
> to hook up to the existing heated grip wiring on the bike?

I just did the Kimpex install myself, wasn't able to find that connector
easily so clipped it off and put in bullet connectors...I've asked before,
but if anyone finds out what it's called or finds a source I'd sure
appreciate hearing about it as there are 3 other Sprint ST's in the 'hood
I'm sure I'll have to help with soon.

> >From looking at the Haynes wiring diagram, it looks like the heated grip
> connector has 3 wires.  One always hot (+), one ground (-), and one that is
> switched with the ignition that can be used to control a relay.  Is this true?
>  Anyone know which color wire is which?

IIRC the hot is purple, the ground is black, and that third wire is a
cream w/ orange (or green?) stripe?  YMMV, SDA, etc. so be sure you check
it out with a meter to be sure yourself.  From the schematic, I couldn't
tell what the third wire is, as it comes off the ECU and splits off to
several gauges/instruments.  I was hoping it was a signal wire I could use
to trip a relay so the hot wouldn't always be on, but need someone who's
installed the Triumph kit to tell us if it comes with a relay, where it's
installed, and if that wire goes to the coil/signal of the relay.

> Lastly, is there an easy way to get to the heated grip wiring connector?
> Which panels do I have to remove?

I only removed the fairing (nose) to do it, no side panels.  Makes running
your wires and tying up things much easier.

I also used a nice illuminated switch from ElectricalConnection.com
instead of the cheesy toggle that comes with it.  Instead of using the
resistor for low, I wired the heaters in series for low and parallel for
high at the advice of some others on the HSTA list who've done
same.  Works well, no wasted heat to a ceramic resistor, but I think on
low the power is only one quarter of that of high per the EE here at work.

> I'll post a review how the install goes, and how the kimpex grip heaters work.

Don't forget to wrap your left clip-on with some electrical tape to
insulate it a little under the heater, but that hasn't helped me
much.  Someone here tells me they have some nice shrink tube at Lowes
that's thicker than the usual heat shrink tube, but you'll need a heat gun
to shrink it as a hair dryer won't do.  When I go back in to add the relay
I'll prolly redo that as there is a lot of heat sunk into the bar on the
left, the right gets down right toasty.

White Rain hairspray (pump) makes an excellent lube for sliding your grips
back on (esp if putting on new grips) but work fast, it tacks up pretty
quick, but takes overnight to really stop squirming around.

FWIW, HIH,

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail