Re: [ST] Honda VFR hardbags and early review of the FJR

Yeah, I must admit the FJR's bags are a bit wider, but so are
the mirrors, so you can still judge where the bags are by where
the mirrors are.

BTW, the list so far, at 230 miles

* Front brakes are the firm'ist with the best feel of any bike I
have riden.

* The gas guage is linear, looks to be about 30 miles per (one
of 8) LCD segment.

* Mirrors are wide enough to see the car behind me with out any
contortions.

* 87 MPH top speed and following break in proceedure.

* I have not put my GPS on it yet, but from what I can tell the
speedo is dead accurate.

* 50deg this morning and did not need to wear any extra gear to
stay warm, just put up the windshield and life is good.

* Did I mention torque, all you have to do is think a speed and
it leaps there in top gear, and I have yet to come close to full
throttle.

* So it's almost 100 lbs heavier, once you get used to the
sitting position and extra bit of heft I am starting to go
around courners as quickly as I did the ST.

* Vibrations, you have to pay attention to feel them.

* With the windshield down, the turbulance hits me around
shoulder level (5' 11"), so my head is clean air flow.

* There is a bit of drive line lash, but not bad.

* Did I mention you chain to lube?

* I can not see how the side bags could leak.

* Still a bitch to adjust the headlights, I have not figured
that one out yet.

* only 770 miles til I can open it up!

* I do miss the grawl of the older tripple, but I can always go
for a ride with Manuel or Steve, that'll do me.

Tom

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, David W. Funk wrote:

> I saw the Honda VFR hardbags for the first time. They look to
> be very nice bags. But they are wide, at least 4 inches wider
> then my Sprint ST bags. As far as I could tell the main problem
> is the underseat exhaust of the 2002 VFR. It makes the tail
> kind of wide. Without bags the tail section is fine. They are a
> couple of inches wider then the rear view mirrors, so it would
> be hard to judge your clearance. They will make lane splitting
> just a little harder.
>
> David W. Funk
> '00 Triumph Sprint ST
> Pleasanton, CA

 Thomas Emberson
 '00 Yamaha WR400F (self abuse in style)
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s
 '03 Yamaha FJR1300

 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500
 killed by rocks: '01 BRG Sprint ST (18 months old, 25,152 miles)