[ST] RE: VFR, liSTer density?

Brian -

VFR - the earlier comments are spot on, it's a fine bike, ride what moves
you. i fondly recall my '83 750 Interceptor...but: i sold it, because at
normal speeds it was, well, boring. think Singer sewing machine boring. to
get to the 'wheee' factor, you had to be flirting with the edge
constantly. i sold it [my kid swears i did it to keep him from graduating
from his XR100 to it].

viffer engine noise: maybe it's just the engineer in me, but hey, that
annoying gear whine that insinuates itself into every other noise around
you would be cured if they had picked helical gears and a thrust washer.

so, yes, a marvelous machine, but with wrinkles you love or hate.

the HawkGT that followed the VF into my garage - now THERE is a classic
marvel of engineering. the distilled essence of everything that is right
about motorcycling. fun from the moment you fire up to the moment you drag
pegs at a track day, a Beagle puppy anxious to do anything you want for
just a scratch behind the ears. and you can still find excellent ones for
under $3K.

then i tried the ST. wow. the Hawk's big brother on steroids. and still
'fun from the moment...'

but i'll still ride or room with you anytime, Brian. i'll wear earplugs if
you want to switch bikes.

el donut -

it is yet another symbol of the intelligence of people who choose to live
in Tejas, that there is a flock of STs around DFW. for those who don't
understand, i recommend a trip to the Texas State Museum in Austin,
followed by a trip to the oldest dance hall in Texas at Gruene. i will now
semi-remove my tongue from my semi-cheek, and put this wrinkle on your
liSTers per city question; let's divide by population for a 'liSTers per
100,000' yardstick.

let's see - DFW, 3.5 million, 8 liSTers: one per 437,500. Norman, OK,
100,000, 2 liSTers: one per 50,000.

we're eight times more dense...

but Bill, even if you keep it at Pinellas County, has one liSTer per
million. Bill - reach out - evangelize...

i open the floor.

papydawg, with too much quiet Sunday morning time

[in a recent email to one of my kids, i closed with 'do you realize what
an affliction it is to have a mind like this?'

his response was 'well, no, but i know what it's like to live with one.']