Re: [ST] Winter Storage

How cold does it get in your garage?  I know it helps having the battery
on the tender, but if it gets to freezing out there you need to think
about bringing it in and hooking it up...

Go for a last ride to fill the tank.  Put the recommended dose of Stabil
in at the station and fill it up.  This lets the sloshing on the ride home
mix it, and ensures treated gas gets through the injectors to help prevent
gumming up.  Even though we don't have to worry about tank rust thanks to
our resin tanks, condensation is still a problem if the tank isn't full,
and that can let water into your gas.

Getting up onto stands is a good idea if you can, but if you can't over
fill the tire's by a couple of extra pounds and slide a little plywood
under 'em if you won't have the opportunity to roll 'em around a little
over the winter.

It's a good idea to change the oil if it's used, it's the contaminants in
it that can eat away at the metals inside.  I wouldn't bother with cheap
stuff, and you'll be ready to ride in the spring.  With just 1800 miles on
it it's a bit of a judgement call.

If you start it in the winter, make sure you let it run long enough to get
all the way up to running temperature for a little while.  Anything
shorter just causes condensation, rust, etc.

Check the coolant for proper level and mix so it doesn't freeze up on ya'.

I used to clean the bike real well, clean and lube the chain, wipe down
the pipes and can and other metal surfaces with WD40 to leave a nice
protecting film, armor-all the rubber booties and cable covers, lube the
pivot points (levers, pegs, pedals, shift linkage), wax the painted
surfaces (protective layer), put baggies with rubber bands around 'em over
the ends of the pipes (to keep moisture and varmints out) , put a spoon of
oil down each spark plug hole and turn the engine over a couple of times
with the kill switch in the kill position to prevent starting and coat the
cylinders with the oil, then cover with a sheet (breathable dust cover).

It's all in how far you wanna go. But since I've had the Trophy 3 (traded)
and now the ST, I just can't go that long without a ride so I only do the
Stabil and the Battery Tender thing as I know I'll get a few rides in with
the crazy Ohio weather.

And in the spring don't forget to check the brakes and fluid to maek sure
you can stop on the first ride, brake fluid is hygroscopic (tends to pull
in moisture) and can get mushy over the winter.

FWIW, HIH, YMMV, SDA.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail