Re: [ST] Winter Storage

- --- Kevin Dicks <rawsonboy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote some
questions about winterizing his bike:

Last winter was my first winter with a bike, and
not-so-strangley enough the first for my ST, since
it's my first bike.

If you dont plan on riding much this winter...I'd say,
minimally, a battery tender and some fuel stabilizer
should do the trick - and be EXTRA careful when you do
ride to spot newly-formed-snow-plow created potholes
and patches of ice from precipitation that may not
have evapotated.  If not at all, I'm guessing you'll
get mixed reports - depends on who you ask.

I have gotten mixed reports about getting tires off of
the floor and suspension under no load.  Some say it's
a 'good thing' (tm), others say it does no good, so it
seems to me that that debate is not too different from
the fuel octance debate <ducking to avoid the next new
thread that everyone loves to hate>.

I have been told by many people that if you dont take
the rubber off of the floor, you should rotate your
tires periodically to change the patch on the
ground...again, dont know much about it as I averaged
at least one ride per week last winter (was able to
get ~1k mi all winter).

I guess if you want to invest the time (very little)
and the money (potentially very great) in paddock
stand(s) of some sort to get stuff off the floor the
only thing I can say is that it's your time and money
to do with as you please - make up your own mind.

FWIW, My bike will probably get as winterized as it's
going to get early next week, or late this week.  I've
not ridden much lately, and dont plan on riding much
very soon, but *will* ride some this winter...so I
plan on some Stabil and a battery tender (already
connected).

If i had the money for heated gear, I would ride even
more in the winter...speaking of which, I'm currently
taking donations for the 'support poor Ben so he can
get heated gear' campaign. ;)

HTH, even though there's not much helpful info in it.