RE: [ST] Winter Storage

This is a highly technical response, so try to follow this logic:  ;)

On a Sprint ST, the bike has a single-sided swingarm. If you use a rear
wheel lift, it puts a pin through the rear axle. The lever action of the
lift transfers the weight of the rear of the motorcycle from the tire to the
wheel's inner hub, but the weight is ALL still there, loading the swingarm,
the shock, and it's spring. Admittedly, this is not taking into account the
hydraulic spring preload as an additional load on the spring.

The idea of getting the rear (and front) suspension is to minimize the
amount of time in the bike's overall life that it's sitting on it's springs
unecessarily fatiguing their compression resistance. Of course being an RS
owner who hasn't opted to add the center stand, I'd forgotten that ST's come
with the center stand from the factory, negating the need for external
equipment to extend the swingarm to the end of it's travel. Duh!

It's warmed up again outside, the ice and snow is gone, so I'll be out
riding. I gueess I'm not a good source of how one should winterize a bike,
because I really don't ever put mine away despite living in New England. I
never know when we'll be able to ride, so I'm always ready.

Ken M.
'00 RS