Re: [ST] Winter Storage

Actually, in theory, a properly designed spring can withstand any number
of years of compression without losing its strength.  That's because it
is never stressed beyond its yield point.  If any material is stressed
beyond its yield point it takes a permanent "set".  You can demonstrate
this with a paper clip.

This old saw continually goes around the firearms community.  Many say
you connot leave a magazine spring compressed for more than a few months
and you should rotate your magazines around so only one is loaded and
for only "x" months.  I have one that been loaded for 20 years outside
of the time it's been in use.  It's my most reliable one.

There is no truth in the need to "relax" a properly designed spring.
Even an *improperly* designed suspension spring will not suffer while
the vehicle is unladen.

John

Brad Turner wrote:
>>The idea of getting the rear (and front)
>>suspension is to minimize the amount of
>>time in the bike's overall life that it's
>>sitting on it's springs unecessarily
>>fatiguing their compression resistance.

  I don't doubt that theoretically you might be able to