[ST] New ST killing batteries!

        Over two weeks ago, I delivered a brand new 2002 ST to my son
who lives in Nevada near Lake Tahoe; it had 2 miles on the odometer.
He had been a long-time Honda rider, and his older brother and I had
finally talked him into getting a Triumph.  On his first ride, a
little over one mile down the rode, the engine quit and would not
restart.  We brought it home in the van, found the battery down to
11V, and put it on the charger overnight.  This pattern continued
daily, on each attempted ride, until he had to leave on a weeks' trip
and left the battery on a Tender.  On his return, each attempted ride
ended the same way within a few miles.

        Still believing the battery was causing the problem, he
noticed however that it was close enough in size to swap out with the
battery that was in his Honda XR650 dual-sport.  He swapped the two
batteries and found
that a fifteen mile (longest so far!) ride on the ST once again left
him stranded when it also killed the battery out of the XR650.

        Conversely, he enjoyed two all-day desert rides on the XR650,
including multiple starts, using the battery out of the ST Sprint!!!

        It appears that the problem with the ST goes beyond the
battery
and there is something very unhappy with the electrical system on the
ST.

        Since the ST archive is still down, I was wondering if any
listers might be able to help.
                       Thanks in advance;
                                          doggydoo   - - - o&\o

*   *