[ST] FRS/GMRS two-way radio questions......

I think I'm going to grab these guys:

Chatterbox costs too much to do communicate between
myself and passenger and other riders in my group.  So
I've decided on an FRS/GMRS radio setup.

Most my buddies use the Motorola T6400 two-way radio.
In trying to find a cheaper alternative that would
communicate on the same frequencies, I can across this
Uniden model:

http://www.uniden.com/docs/store/itemdetail.cfm?item=GMRS522%2D2

I verified that they run the same channels and codes
at the Motorola t6400.

My questions to everyone:

They advertise up to two-mile range in good
conditions, what should I really expect?  What sort of
sound quality?

The Motorola claims to put out 1 Watt of power on the
combined FRS/GMRS channel that we use.  The Uniden
model only 1/2 a watt.(I guess it's a GMRS channel,
but can use it locally w/out license and use more
power to boost reception, rather than FRS channels
limits to 1/2 watt power output)

With only 1/2 a watt output power will I notice a
difference compared to my buddies with 1 watt of
power?  From what I've read the range is more a
question of your surroundings and the length of your
antenna rather than power output.

Also wouldn't running at 1 watt suck the batteries up
quicker than my unit at 1/2 a watt?

FYI I'll be using a Moto Comm Headset (the 3/4 helmet
boom mic supposedly works better than the full-face
mini mic I hear)

Thanks for your help,

Bryce