Re: [ST] Speedometer sensor failure

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, David W. Funk wrote:

> The speedometer and odometer stopped working on my 2000 Sprint ST just
> past the 27k mile point. I was just riding along about 30mph when I looked
> down and nothing. When I removed the wheel and looked, the sensor would
> not move. It was just frozen up or something, but I could not turn it by hand.
> The cost of a new one is about $130.
> Has anybody else had a simular problem?
> Can you turn the sensor by hand? I had never tried before.

My 99 (bought used at 11k) did that around 15k after an all day soaker (a
few of 'em actually) but I more suspect the real cause was the previous
owner using a spray off at a power car wash and eroding the grease...

Fixed it, but getting the magnet out was hard to do so try not to chew it
up too bad.  Use a screw driver or something with a tab to get under the
back edge and pry (prise) it out.

Clean up all the gunk in there (qtips) then relub contact surfaces with
white lithium grease and reassemble, should work good as new.  Don't
forget to check the metal tabs on the wheel side that mate into the
magnet's cut outs, they may have been flattened when the magnet stopped
spinning.

FWIW, HIH, SDA, etc.

Gobble to till ya' wobble!

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail