RE: [ST] Brake Problem

Perhaps we should run some kind of a poll here. I've got a very high number
of miles out of both the front and rear pads on my 2000 RS (18k Front, 36K
Rear.) From what I've read on this list lately, those on later model ST's
get consistently lower mileage from their brake pads, particularly the rear
ones.

Is this a matter of mechanics, pad material, riding style, or all factors
combined? Do other makes and models of motorcycles have this range of wear?
I think it merits some investigation.

FWIW, I ride a variety of styles, but most often, sportriding along the same
lines as described in Nick Ianscht's (sp?) article, "The Pace". I do use my
rear along with my front on almost every application of the binders. The
thing is, I really don't use my brakes much at all. On the track, yeah, I
clamp 'em down pretty good for corners, but on the street it's a s-m-o-o-t-h
flow, speed adjusted more by gear selection and topography than by brakes.

So....what is "normal" wear, and what is the distribution of wear rates
among RS, ST, and their range of model years? Have there been any change in
part numbers for these models? I do believe the RS and ST use different
numbers on the rear because of the swingarm issue, but is pad material
different?

Anyone have wear rates approaching or less than mine?

Ken M.
'00 RS