[ST] Now...the rest of the story

Well I got my baby back yesterday from the dealer with the new pads
installed. But...now for the rest of the story of how I found the brake pad
problem:

Coming home on Sunday afternoon from the north country, Payson, AZ to be
exact, I was about 2 miles from my house and I pulled onto a large main
street and started to accelerate very briskly, shifting at about 7K, nothing
major. I hit 3rd gear and all of a sudden there was a very loud bang. Well
the first thing that goes through my head is a blowout?? I start to chop the
throttle instantly and out of habit start to apply rear brake, well as I
mentioned in the brake problem post, the pads are gone so they start to make
a bunch of noise ie; grinding.  So now I hear grinding and think oh sh!t I
broke something in the tranny or clutch so I pull the clutch in and the
sound goes away, not realizing that I have at the same time lifted off the
rear brake. I limp home thinking my baby is on her last legs. So the boys at
Cycle Moto, who I might add are AWESOME, go through her with a fine
toothcomb. Prognosis; my chain has a very, very tight spot and of course the
opposite side has a very loose spot and it was on the loose side of
Triumph¹s tolerance. The loud noise; a massive chain slap. Now the two
pieces of good news; my baby is back and I can¹t ever imagine that kind of
chain of events happening again (pun fully intended). As an aside question,
what causes a chain to wear so weird as to have such a tight spot?? Like I
mentioned in my brake post, she only has 5200 miles and I lube the chain
every 200 to 400 miles. Looks like she is getting a chain and sprockets
(with one tooth less in front) for Christmas. Don¹t say anything though; I
want it to be a surprise ;-)
JohnnyO
'01 Sapphire Blue ST