Re: [ST] Sliders

At 01:00 PM 10/2/02, Robert Smith wrote:
>My motivation for considering frame sliders was more to save my legs than
>Old Shep's bodywork. If a frame slider keeps the bike off my leg/foot
>when/if I go down, I couldn't give a tinker's cuss what happens to the frame.
>
>However, the fact that the frame gave way (and probably took the engine
>case with it) is a concern if it means the slider then wouldn't hold the
>bike up in a tipover.

I think that your motivation should be a minor consideration when debating
whether to use 'em or not. I've tossed a lot of bikes down the asphalt when
racing and have never had one fall on/trap any part of me between it and
the pavement/gravel/grass/whatever.

Frame sliders can be useful in helping to protect really expensive pieces
like frames/motors in a crash. I've used 'em on a few race bikes where the
motor is relatively exposed compared to the frame (like a 750/900ss Duc)
and has lots of parts that stick out that you wouldn't want ground
down/away in a crash. My tz doesn't have 'em as it's so light it just
slides across the top of things on it's bodywork (frame sliders don't save
bodywork - on a race bike, bodywork is constantly replaced - like
yesterdays newspaper).

Only reason I'd put 'em on the ST is if I could see that they might make a
difference as to whether I can still ride it home after a minor
low-side/get-off or not.

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA#90
Duc 748