[ST] Re: BC800

I just put a BC800 onto my RS, and I thought it might be worth
sharing! I got the computer from jenson usa on the web-- $18 for the
kit plus 6.99 for the rear wheel mount, which I decided I didn't
need. The computer mounts onto the rails running horizontally at the
front of the fairing-- the ones supporting the headlights. It's easy
to see and protected from the worst of the weather. I used the
measurement from the triumphnet "how to set up your BC800 computer"
page, which gave 1164 as the magic number. Using 1164, I found my
odometer read 0.4% less than the BC800 (not going to keep me awake at
night). I thought the odometer, trip, etc. would be pretty accurate
because of legal issues to do with servicing, warranty etc. The bike
speedo is 5 mph faster than the BC800 at cruising speed-- that is an
indicated 80 on the speedo is 75 on the BC800. Again, well within
expectations. My usual practice of driving within 10 over would seem
to work fine with these measurements. An indicated 80 in a 70 is a
true 75, within the 10% no ticket zone. Incidentally, at 116 on the
speedo the BC800 reads 110, so the proportional discrepancy remains
about the same all the way up, it would seem.

So this all seems worth doing once, just to check the speedo, but
once it's checked it seems to me the BC800 might as well come off . .
.

Once last thing-- has anybody used a figure other than 1164? If I
went with 1190 ish as suggested yesterday, it seems to me that the
odometer and BC800 would only differ by 0.1% and the speed reading on
the BC800 would decrease by about 2mph . . .

Thanks,

R.
- --
Ralf St.Clair
Director
Texas Center for Adult Literacy and Learning
Educational Administration & Human Resource Development
Texas A&M University
979.458.3586