Re: [ST] Monterey Ride Saturday??

On Thursday, October 10, 2002, at 10:13 AM, Marc Danziger wrote:

> I'm in Monterey this weekend to be a corporate spouse to Tenacious G
> at the State Bar convention (where she's getting a big award!! Yaay
> G!!), and will be trailering Vixen up (I need to drive up and take
> stuff for her, she'll drive back, I'll ride back),and have some time
> Saturday; my friend Donovan (Superhawk) will be up as well. Any Santa
> Cruz/Monterey/Salinas folks up for guiding two clueless Southern
> Californians around??

Alas, I will be up north this weekend.

The must-hit ride in the area (outside doing Big Sur) is Laureles Grade:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/
map.adp?size=big&mapdata=xU4YXdELrnBUHY%2ba6yBX2cZMKO3tSQX2Tv5gIdk6Ubkie
AyWMUDyudx4e6HXj1xgxB6g%2fjvL8gapdraK70PysykluCCUPOHaUuOOESIZRlxVNtJUjeM
aHxkZkluoT%2bRbXJUSzYRHlfi5XoFHP7zFXdrvtI%2boNRy6bblKX0XhcztgODQ%2fMZtXw
sEmX1sL%2fau1fcMhkwuMeE9fvGnUS82yJ9Vvf2F9V41pheYXnvpfb8clCDUuyXnkIhT%2f5
2fFl%2fQhh6OEMh689wI%3d

between Hwy 68 and Carmel Valley Road (northbound gives a great view of
the Salinas Valley / ocean going over the ridge).

If you've got 3-4 hrs,

Monterey->Hwy 1->Bixby Bridge->turn around->Carmel Valley Rd->Laureles
Grade->Monterey

would make a good tour.

Last I checked Pebble Beach/ 17 mi drive didn't let in hooligans unless
one resides within the gates. Bummer, as it's a great scenic road.

The Monterey Peninsula proper is a much nicer place to cycle than
strafe, [un]fortunately.

=td=

'02 BRG ST in Semi-Sunny Santa Cruz