peg lowering(Re: [ST] crash followup(Re: damage assessment))

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 01:11:25PM -0700, Bryce wrote:
> Is there any lowering kits for the rider pegs on the bike?  As long
> as u aren't grinding the crap out of the bike at extreme lean angles
> u should still be able to extend your leg roon safely and enjoy such
> a wonderful bike.  It would be a shame to give up on a bike like
> this for such a given factor.
>
> Good luck and recover quickly,
>
> Bryce
>
> --- Brian D <brd@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > As far as another ST, I don't think that will happen.  The fact
> > is that I'm just too tall for an ST.  I need a bike with more
> > legroom.

I have never heard of a lowering kit.  As it is, I scrape my boots'
toes on the ground before the pegs on the ST, so I'm not sure I would
want them any lower.

Also, the problem is that my legs were so doubled over that I could
not get my foot over the rearbrake or shifter without taking my foot
off the peg by lifting my whole leg.  This is quite unsettling in a
turn.  I got over this by never using the rear, except on low-speed
sand or gravel, and never downshifting, which, fortunately, the ST has
no problem with. ;)

By contrast, on a tall bike like a tiger, my knee is at about a 90
degree angle and I can raise my foot over the rearbrake easily with
my foot still on the peg.  (You can play along with this at home.
Sitting in a chair, put your foot flat on the floor with you knee at
a 90 degree angle.  Keeping your heel on the floor, how high can you
raise your toes?  About 3-4 inches for me.  Now, slide your foot back
under you so that your knee is bent closed some.  How high can you
lift your toes while keeping your heel on the floor?  I can't at all.)

So I'm not sure lowering the pegs would even do any good.  I'd still
have the problem with the controls, I think.

The only option I think might work would be having the seat built
up some and/or having the "berm" moved back.  Not sure what sitting
higher and farther back would do to my reach to the bars, comfort of
riding position, or helmet buffeting, though.  Plus, in the twisties, I
like to be up forward with knees gripping the tank.

Maybe there are other tall sprint riders who have solved this problem?

Laters,
Brian
- --
'99 ST (black)