Re: [ST] Salvage Title

Tom/Mike,
It's my understanding that when the insurance company records the bike as
"totaled" or a total loss they report this to motor vehicle in your state.
A bill of sale for that bike/vin# will net you a salvage title on that bike.

The rest gets fuzzy and depends on your states regulations.  In NY after you
repair the bike, you must show it to NYS Motor Vehicles and have a saftey
inspection performed.  This is the same procedure used with a race bike
holding NO title at all.  Either bike must pass inspection by that states
motor vehicle department.  That inspection plus a bill of sale containing
the correct VIN# will get you new clear title on your salvage or race bike.
With that you can insure the bike any way you like.  However, your insurance
company may request that you show them the bike and have pictures take to
show it is in "like new" condition.

This all takes some time to get done.  It can take up to 8 weeks in NY to
get a title on a new bike.  So, that's 8 weeks to get your "salvage" title.
Repair the bike and schedule the inspection.  Apply for the "clear"
title...8 more weeks.  Since you cannot register the bike without a title,
your looking at, at least 16 weeks to re-register your bike.

I guess you could do it over the winter. I'd call your local states DMV and
ask them for their procedure before proceeding.  I have had some friends
actually perform part of this procedure in a neighboring state. ?? It
somehow speeds up the entire procedure.  I'll contact the guy whos done it
and post more when I get the info.

Sorry for the long explenation.............

FWIW....
Joe
NY
Red 2002 ST