Re: [ST] Texas Raid Ralley-The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

John,

Thanks for the excellent post.  I've been trying to think of ways to
increase safety and awareness on group rides and you've made some down
right excellent suggestions.

While attending the HSTA's Friends of Freddies rallye in Missouri this
past weekend, our "pod" was unlucky enough to have come up on two separate
incidents.  Fortunately for them a couple in our group had EMT training
and didn't sustain life threatening injuries but unfortunately both bikes
were total losses.

I'm always concerned that the "newbie" or "the returner" will get caught
up in that pack mentality and ride over their heads.  They need to know to
ride their own ride, have info so they don't feel like they'll get lost if
they don't keep up, etc.  Waiting at the turns is another thing we
commonly do, so if they know this perhaps they'll feel like they don't
have to ride faster than they are accustomed to.

How to communicate all this in a way that will be absorbed and how to try
to determine the level of the rider you are talking to has always baffled
me, and you present some good info on doing that.

Thanks!

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail