[ST] Sprockets and Chain Maintenance

The Shop Manual says my '02 RS has a 19/43 sprocket set.  Sometimes 1st
gear is too fast and I'd also like to get some more acceleration out of it,
too.  I don't want it to be too much of a wheelie monster, but if it lifted
the front wheel 6 inches (15 cm) under max. acceleration, that would be
grand.  Will changing the front sprocket to 17 teeth do that?

What is the best way to clean the chain before relubing it?  I clean my
bicycle chains with a citrus solvent soaked rag and relube when it's dry.
I have no idea what that solvent, or others, might do the the x-ring seals.
I must have done something similar to my Interceptor, but it's been gone so
long I can't remember.

John

http://mail2web.com/ .