RE: [ST] Sprockets and Chain Maintenance

Go with the 17 tooth, you won't regret it - unless you plan to do some long
distance high-speed cruising. I went to the 17 tooth front sprocket about
6000 miles ago. Very happy with it.  Makes the bike a lot more manageable
in city traffic, so I don't have to be slipping the clutch so much.  Also
gives a nice oomph to the acceleration - not that it was weak to begin with,
but with the 17 tooth ... woohoo!.   As for wheelies, when I whack the
throttle open in 2nd, I'm more concerned with hanging on than trying to get
the front wheel off the ground! I'll leave the wheelies to braver souls than
me. :-)

Haven't noticed much of an effect on fuel mileage either.

For chain cleaning, I got a "grunge brush" (I think that's the name) which
has a U shaped brush head so you clean three sides of the chain in one go,
and it came with some cleaner.  Works pretty well.

Mort H.
'00 ST