[ST] Race Tech install

Heh Everyone,

Long time lurker.  I really enjoy this list and I have learned quite a bit.
I have a 2000 RS and after 12,000 miles I can honestly say I love this bike.
I thought about the Race-Tech emulator/springs upgrade for a while and I've
finally taken the plunge.  I've read the FAQ, Erik Miner's notes, etc.  It's
1 pm Sat and I've got the fork tubes off the bike.  I can't seem to get the
damping rod bolts loose.

First of all, I can't fit my allen head socket thru the hole in the bottom
of the fork.  It's at least two inches from the bottom face of the fork to
the damping rod bolt, so I can't use my allen head socket.
I tried using a allen wrench (the "L" shaped one in the proper size) w/ a
vise grip for leverage.  I held the fork tube (carefully) in my vise.  No
dice.  It looks like I might have even started to strip the damping rod
allen head - dooooh!

So, what's the ticket?  Lots of people have done this so it can't be that
hard.  I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined - I've adjusted my own
valves, etc.  Is there a much longer allen head socket available in the
right size?  I also heard of someone using a hand impact wrench.

Please help!!!  I'm scared to continue for fear of stripping allen heads.
Then I'll really be in trouble.

TIA

Mike Elderkin
"Triple Threat"