[ST] the story on Eric House

I finally got to speaking with Jamie a few minutes ago.  She told me
that Eric, in full leathers and helmet, was on his way home from work
when a car did the infamous left turn in front of him maneuver.  Eric
went down on the right side before hitting the car.  I got the
impression it was not a high speed thing here, as it was on secondary
metro Atlanta roads, and Jamie said other than a scratched up rt side
fairing, the bike was totally rideable.  Anyway, there really wasn't a
scratch on him to speak of, in fact Eric told people that he thought he
was ok.  This all happened at about 4pm.  He went to the hospital by way
of ambulance and it wasn't till about 6pm that he was xrayed to find a
bunch of broken back ribs and a 4" laceration to a lung.  They stuck a
chest tube in him and Jamie said it was like Niagara Falls.  They went
to operate on him and could not control the bleeding, he arrested
several times and was finally pronounced dead around 8pm.   She's
obviously lawyered up now.  While on one hand I am happy that it was not
really a fatal crash that took his life, it absolutely infuriates me to
learn that a hospital with a Trauma Center could let this happen.  Being
a paramedic myself, it baffles me how all this could be missed both by
the squad and the ER.  I could get into this real heavy, but I won't...I
wasn't there, so I'll quit now.

In case it wasn't clear from my previous post, the services have already
taken place.  Jamie could not locate my contact info because it was in
Eric's stuff, hence the late announcement.  Unfortunately, Jamie admits
she is still in total denial at this stage which is just delaying her
overall acceptance.  I guess I can't believe it myself.  In any case, if
anyone feels the urge to send her something, ping me off list and I'll
give you her particulars.  For her own security, I think I'd rather not
post her home address here on the internet.  And to clarify, he had two
kids, a 6yr old son and 9yr old daughter both from a previous marriage.

I usually sign off with "Cheers" but I just can't bring myself to it.

Godspeed, Eric.
Jonathan West