[ST] ST and FJR

All,

Had my first short ride on a new FJR 1300.  Quick impression - Triumph
better get busy - I think the FJR is a nice fit between the ST and the
Trophy.
The bike carries its weight very well, you would not guess it weighs as
much as the spec sheet states.  A little slower to turn in than the ST,
but it handles very well.  Not as "flickable"  Did not get to try any
high speed, but watching my buddy ride the bike, it seems very stable on
the fast sweepers.
You can feel the drive shaft snatch and maybe the FI isn't 100% down
low.  At slower speeds, a throttle roll off and on makes the bike a
little jerky and the drive shaft snatch is more pronounced.  I think
this is something you would get used to and be able to adapt.
The bars seem overly high and seem to be swept back too far.  I kept
trying to push them away from me.  Seat feels like it may get very hard
after a few hundred miles, but it may have been the bar position pushing
me into an uncomfortable riding position.

Shifts are butter smooth - Why can't a European bike shift as smooth as
the Japanese bikes?  Engine is very smooth - not any smoother than my ST
- - just a 4 cyl smoothness with just a hint of the old FJ100 high speed
buzz.

Verdict --  Nice bike, but still not an ST.  And since there is only
room for one in my garage, I'll keep my Triumph!!

Dave"Olde Dawg" Bardell
01 ST

End of st-digest V2002 #594