RE: [ST] Rear brake pad wear

Roger,

I'm one of the people who reported rapid rear brake wear.  Don't know what
the "rear brake retaining pin" is on an ST.  But I took the brake off last
weekend and noticed that the left side pad (next to the brake pistons) is
wearing more than the right side pad. The mechanism that makes the caliper
"float" was very stiff. The caliper sits on two pins which allow it to move
left-to-right as it squeezes the brake disc.  Those pins fit inside rubber
boots in the caliper.  There was old stiff grease on them, which I cleaned
off and re-lubed them with some 80W oil (for want of anything better to
hand!).  I was hoping that would do the trick, but it hasn't.  Maybe I need
to use some of this "anti-seize" grease?  If anyone has a shop manual handy
and can tell me what I'm supposed to use, and how much of it, would be
greatly appreciated.

But I think there may be some other work needed too.  I noticed that there
is very little clearance between the left side brake pad and the bracket the
floating pins are attached to.   There's enough clearance so that it works
fine when I have the brake off, but I suspect that when fitted on the bike,
and under the stress of braking, the clearance may be non existent and so
causing the caliper to stick (or sink!?) instead of float.

Next weekend, I may try to grind a little extra clearance off the left brake
pad, if I have time.

Mort H.
'00 ST