[ST] Riding and Risk

Lisa did a wonderful job of putting down her thoughts on the subject of
motorcycle riding and risks (and the "selfishness" of taking those risks).
I wholeheartedly agree with her comments.

I want to *live* my life, not merely exist a little while longer by avoiding
risks.  Like many my age (mid 40's), I have achieved many of the goals of
the first half of my life (college degree, post-college degree, job, wife,
family, career).  Frankly, there are few things now that get me as excited
as the first day of a motorcycle trip.  Whether it is a weekend trip to
Central Texas, a week trip to Taos, NM,  or a two week trip to Park City,
Utah, I get as excited a kid waking up on Christmas day.  Haven't you
started on a long motorcycle vacation and literally yelled "Yahoo!" inside
your helmet about 100 miles into the first day?  I do it every time because
it fun and I'm on an adventure.  Flying use to do that for me and
motorcycling is as close to flying a jet as anything else you can do on
land.

I once saw a sign in the small airport in Beaumont, Texas where I learn how
to fly, which stated:

"Aviation is not in itself inherently dangerous.  But to an even greater
extent than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness,
incapacity, or neglect."

I submit the same could be said for our wonderful sport of motorcycling.

One thing I would suggest to all motorcycle riders.  Take time out of your
busy schedule to go to church and make sure God is in your life.

John Westcott
Portland, TX

P.S.  Food for thought:  I started flying airplanes and soloed when I was 15
years old.  Would you feel comfortable letting your 15 year teenager drive
your car alone, much less allowing your 15 year old fly around alone in an
airplane?  I was very lucky to have parents that were understanding.