Re: [ST] Headlamps/Horns

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 09:43:00PM -0500, Roger Castillo wrote:
> Tony,
>
> I just spent all Saturday afternoon installing a pair of Fiamms on my '00 ST
> and found the headlamp aiming "thingie" by accident while looking for a
> place to mount the switch relay. If you remove the side fairing (right or
> left, doesn't matter), turn the bars over to one direction, and look up into
> the area behind the headlamps you will see a gray housing with a small bolt
> protruding. This housing looks like the housing for a headlamp assembly and
> the protruding bolt some sort of adjuster. Luckily, that's what it is. :)
> The bolt adjusts the aim of the lamp up and down.

You don't need to remove any fairings.  You can access the adjusters
from above.  The key is to hve the right sized screwdriver (mine has a
phillips head).  Too short and it won't reach.  Too long and it won't
have clearance.

> 1. Turn the ignition on and aim the beams at a wall or something where you
> can see the lights shining against it.
> Yes, that means you'll need to straighten out the bars--moving them to the
> side just made it easier for you to find the housing and adjuster bolt.
>
> 2. Check the alignment of the lamps.
> If the lamps are properly aligned, you'll see a white blob with a distinct
> horizontal line that extends through the blob and off to each side. If the
> lamps are mis-aligned, you will see two different lines.

You should also sit on the bike and see how that affects the aim.  :b

Generally the right (left in the UK) beam is aimed higher to
illuminate more of the side of the road.  Maybe this accounts for  the
disparity the orig poster saw.

Laters,
Brian
- --