ign screw(Re: [ST] Ghosts of Triumph's past, or Shake, rattle, and fall apart.)

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 01:44:26PM -0400, BikerDad wrote:

> I have two questions now:  How does one go about getting warranty
> service when the nearest dealer is 250 miles away and all that's
> needed is a pair of screws?

Don't.  Just go to True Value and buy a screw.

> Second, can anybody provide the size, length, and thread of the two
> screws that hold the ignition cylinder to the triple clamp?  The
> screws come in from underneath, and may or may not have washers.
> Since my screws are loose somewhere on Charleston Boulevard, I have
> no clue as to what else may have been under there.

You are in luck.  I lost one of these screws while on a trip.  As a
preeemptive measure, I took the other one out to use for part matching
when I got home.  Somehow, I was still able to find it.  :)

The original screws will be hard to find--not to mention expensive.
I doubt your dealer will even have them, although they do seem to be
designed to be disposable, so they might stock some.  They have the
tiniest socket head I've ever seen (4mm) and strip very, very easily.
<insert my usual gripe about Triumph's stupid, non-standard fasteners>

Luckily, the threaded shaft is a common metric size.  Not sure what the
size is in the M1 M2 etc nomenclature, but I'm uploading a picture with
the dimensions.

The only trick is that the bolts are recessed, so you can't get a
replacement with a bigger head.  Also, don't get one with a hex head
socket, the socket won't fit.  The ones I got, which are still on the
bike or I'd take a picture, are called I believe cap head screws and
accept an allen wrench.

Oh, and then there's the stupid washers.  They are oval-shaped, and
you've probably lost both of yours.  I manufactured some.  I bought a
traditional washer the same thickness and with a same size inner hole,
traced the old over it and used a dremel tool to grind it to shape.

bolt Dimensions:
shaft diameter: 5mm
shaft L: 20mm
Head dia.: 10mm
thread count: 10 per cm

washer dimensions: 14mm x 10mm x 1.5mm
hole dia.: 6.5mm

Okay, the triumphnet uploads site is not working for me ATM ("Upload
failed - please upload images only"  wtf?), so I'm putting the picture
on my site at:
http://www.erf.net/~brd/triumph/ignscrew.jpg

Laters,
Brian