[ST] Cuidado - Rain-X

Dear Ken, Rick, Charlie and anybody else who wants to horn in:

Oh, Puh-leeze.  Let's review some of Life's Most Important Rules:

1)  Anecdotal evidence is not only worthless, it can be misleading.  "I
used (product) on my (article) for (period of time) and there were no
bad effects"  So what, if it renders useless a $500 windscreen on
someone else's boat.  Using Epoxy as a personal lubricant might work,
but it will have negative effects over time.  (Did you hear the story of
the newly-weds who didn't know the difference between Vaseline and
putty?  Their windows fell out.)

2)  Confine your argument to the subject.  No one said that Rain-X would
cause your shield to be brittle or shatter.  It can "dry out" the
material, causing loss of visual clarity and "yellowing", among other
things.  It will definitely cause the loss of scratch-resistant and
other coating that are not made to withstand the solvents in Rain-X.
They don't say, but it smells like acetone.  According to people who
should know, Plexiglas fabricators, wax is good for Plexiglas, Lexan and
like materials, but that is only hearsay on my part.

3)  Never make it up, it makes you look stupid and/or lazy.  The Rain-X
container plainly states, "IMPORTANT:  Do not use on plastics unless
pre-approved by the manufacturer of the plastic to be treated. Do not
use on or allow product to contact painted surfaces, non-clear surfaces,
surfaces treated with anti-reflective, scratch-resistant or other
coatings."  If you paid more than $29.99 for your helmet, the visor will
have one or more of these.

4)  Just because a product is "good" for the purpose for which it is
intended doesn't make it "good" for others.  Don't light your BBQ fires
with gasoline (it's dangerous and makes the steaks stink).  See also
"Epoxy" above.  Rain-X works great on glass, I use it all the time.
They also make other products, which might be suitable for plastics, but
they don't function as the original Rain-X.  That could give you an out,
Rick.

5)  Never argue with the King.

6)  It's good to be King :))

Andrew F. Kay, Jr.
King, Riders of the Lost Empire, LC
www.lostempire.com

STOP!!

>>NEVER apply Rain-X (tm) to a visor or windscreen.  It will remove the
>>coating(s) on the base material and "dry out" the visor.  Use a
>>proprietary product such as Plexus (tm) or Klear 2 Sea (tm) to clean
>>your plexiglass and apply a coating of wax (just wax, not a
>>cleaner/wax) to the outer surface to help shed water.

Rain-X is for glass only.  Works great on the truck or Momma's
Bonneville... The one with the four wheels and a supercharger.<<

____
_____________________

>I don't know where you got this information so please do enlighten me.
>I've been using Rain-X on the faceshields of my Arai helmet(s), both
>the clear and dark-smoke versions, for *YEARS* with no noticeable ill
>effects.  My faceshields remain pliable, and the stuff works GREAT.

>As a testament to that fact, many riders who've been out with me notice

>how easily I change my shields, by pulling the bike over, reaching into

>the Triumph tankbag where they live, and swapping over without so much
>as removing my gloves, let alone taking off the helmet. Tell me I could

>do that with a faceshield made brittle and/or unusable by the
>application of Rain-X.

>I stand by Rain-X as a GOOD product and quite suitable for my Arai
>faceshields. (Never felt any urge to do the windscreen on my RS. It's
>never even been in my line of sight.)

Ken M.
'00 RS

From: "Rick & Joyce" <rnjwes@xxxxxxxxx>