[ST] engine question

Hello liSTers -

I recently took my 2001 ST in for a tune check since I noticed that running
at a steady pace (45 mph as an example) with the RPM's around 3,000 --- I
can feel the bike somewhat "bucking"....really what I'm feeling is the chain
tension from the motor vary which makes the bike jump a little.  They
couldn't find anything wrong but, supposedly did change the tune version on
it though I don't know from what to what.

My question to y'all is this --- if you put the bike on the center stand and
run the bike in 1st gear at idle RPM --- should you see the chain tight up
slack and loosen up?  The other odd thing I noticed was that as I increased
the RPM's the engine ran poorly very similar to a car when it's "missing".
I could hear the engine sputtering.

Any thoughts on this?  I'm not sure if I've been descriptive enough.  The
basic question is what should I tell the dealer to check and is this
something that should be covered under warranty (bike has 5,000 miles)?  Or
is there something I need to be doing --- fuel injector cleaner or
other...(I run high octane normally)

I guess my other question is....is this the way this engine runs or is there
actually something amiss?

Thanks for the help!

Rene Lopez
'01 BRG ST
DeBary, FL

p.s.  I just came back from my FIRST trip to the Carolinas on a bike!  The
ST performed SUPER -- riding 2 up with my wife.  What a blast! (Yep, I did
ride the Dragon!)