Re: [ST] Those helmet locks again...

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 01:24:13PM -0500, Anderson, Neil G (CPR) wrote:
> Matt Knowles wrote:
>
> >Remember though, that this was designed by the same folks who solved
> >the helmet theft problem by completely leaving off any helmet locks.
>
> Alright, just for the new people on the list, here's the logic for the
> "missing" helmet locks; if you use helmet locks on your chinstrap, you are
> inviting people to cut the chin strap and walk off with the helmet.

How do thiefs get new straps, anyway?  Do they sell new straps for any
other reason?

I've never thought of helmet locks as secure, but they are convenient
to have so you don't have to carry the helmet in to the store, movies,
etc.  I wish there was one for that option, not so much for leaving
the helmet out overnight or in a risky area.

> If you want a helmet lock that's worth using, buy a bicycle lock and
> lock the chin bar of your (full face) helmet to the grab rail or top
> box rack.

Good advice.

> Or better
> still, put the helmet in your pannier/top box.

Thus, increasing luggage sales.    :)

Laters,
Brian
- --