[ST] My mileage SUCKS, help!

I just recently completed a 2,100 mile trip up to Oregon, and I am sorely disappointed in my gas mileage.  At one point, I literally coasted into the gas station on empty, 197 miles from my previous fuel stop where I had the bike on the centerstand and fully filled the tank.  After coasting in, I put 5.4 gallons into the tank, for a whopping 36.5 mpg.  Even using the official 5.3 gallon tank figure, the mileage is only 37.1.

That particular leg was pretty straightforward (and pretty straight) Nevada desert highway, averaging about 90.  My 2000 RS was carrying myself, sleeping bag, tent, sleeping mat, soft panniers and tank bag, call it 275 pounds all told.  The only "performance" mods to the bike are a K&N air filter, and it has the latest tune as of April.  The bike now has 15k on it.  aarghghgh.  I've just about heard enough of y'all folks getting 45mpg 2up, I am jealous.

On another note, I've used the soft bags now for two 2k trips.  They have performed without any problems whatsover, and I'd get them again.  The only problem I've found with them is that the bayonet buckles are an unusual size.  This is unfortunate, because if they were a commonly available size it would be a piece of cake to sew some buckles onto a large bag and use it as a topbag snapping onto the panniers.

Grace and peace,

John S., aka "BikerDawg" nee BikerDad
'00 Atomic Orange RS