Re: [ST] rear spring pre-load: clicks and turns

As I get the digest, I have replied to all the suspension questions in one.
Yikes, I find myself deep inside this and yet I'm probably the least
qualified to do so. I just speak and try to interpret English that's all!
Barry (ex pommie-in-the-middle)

Phil,
I don't understand you. MCN refers to 'x clicks from hard' which I interpret
to be the same as the manuals 'x turns from fully screwed in position' (for
clicks vs turns debate see below)

> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 07:56:33 +0100
> From: "Philip Guy" <bike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ST] rear spring pre-load: clicks and turns
>
> Hi Barry, I have sent a e-mail to Keith Farr who jointly wrote the article
> as the rear re-bound settings goes the oposite way in adjustment in the
> manual to what they describe.  I have changed to their settings that they
> have used and found them to be of immense benefit, and yes it seems I was
> riding a wallowing monster.  When I get his reply I will post it.

- -------------
Roger,
Unfortunately there is no online edition. Possibly MCN will do so after some
time.... I guess they understandably want people to buy their paper! But see
below for a summary.

> From: "Roger Castillo" <madeditor75@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ST] rear spring pre-load: clicks and turns
> Barry,
>
> Any chance there is an online version of that MCN article? I can't seem to
> find a hardcopy of MCN locally, and I really want to see what it says.

- ---------------
Pete,
So wait, that's 'turns=clicks' 1 vs 'turn=2 clicks' 1 so far.
Keeping sending those email/votes in!
Perhaps someone from Triumph could *turn* on their computer and *click* on
this forum (sorry couldn't resist) and enlighten us all?

> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 14:19:42 +0100
> From: "British Bull Dawg" <britishbulldawg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ST] rear spring pre-load: clicks and turns
>
> The standard setting for rear preload on the ST is twelve CLICKS out, not
> twelve turns. That is six turns out and MCN was right.
>
> Pete "British Bull Dawg" Chapman
> '02 ST, BRG

- --------
Jim,
OK, I'll try to summarise/tabularise (can MCN readers please check), but it
comes with a disclaimer, cos I for one think MCN stuffed the rear preload up
(but I look forward to transforming the handling ;):

Rider weight (in lbs [n.b.1 stone = 14 pounds- heck its you guys over the
lake who are the ones who have refused to go metric ;)]; front preload
(number of rings showing from top- which is not the standard way that the
manual says, but easily undertandable); rear preload (*clicks* from hard);
rear rebound (*turns* from hard)

140 (pro rider); 3.5 ; 10 ; 1
168 (guest rider); 2.75 ; 9 ; 1.25
203 (pro rider); 1.5 ; 7 ; 1.5
2-up; 1.5 ; 5 ; 1.75

Note that for all riders they found the optimimum cold tyre pressure to be
36/42 (F/R).

*