Re: [ST] chain guide needed - quick!

Well to update, the local dealer says the part isn't showing a backorder
status so it *should* be with them tomorrow morning.  Here's hoping it is,
but given their proven ability to snatch failure from the jaws of success
I'm not totally confident.  I know, that's bad karma going out so here's
hoping things have changed...

I think I mentioned why I was snooping around the rear to begin with was
in effort to find whatever was creating small gouges in the meat of the
tire at it's absolute outer edge.

Turns out it's the back plate of the seat lock mechanism.  How there is so
much travel as to allow that is beyond me, but with someone on the bike
compressing as much as they can, and me sitting on the ground behind the
bike pulling down on the rack I can almost get within a half inch of the
tire and see that it is in fact the culprit, esp. given the rubber shred
still tucked in between the back plate and the rest of the assy!

I had cranked up the preload and rebound to some of the rec settings in
the archives, and don't recall seeing this on the previous tire (same
model 020) so what's changed is baffling me.  Short of whacking it with a
mallet to bend it out a little, I don't have any real ideas for correcting
the situation as I've removed the rear cowling and everything looks
assembled ok to me, but no grounds for comparison.

Anyone else seeing this?  Bike is a 99 with panniers so the lock was
relocated to what I can only assume is the correct position.  Bought used
so I don't have the doc on the install.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas,

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail