Re: [ST] New ST Owner!!!

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002 lau8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I picked up my 2000 Sprint ST Saturday.

Congrats on your bike!  Sounds like a well equipped one.

> Now for my questions:  The bike almost has 12,000 miles on it.  I think I'm
> going to wait until spring to get the 12,000 mile service.  What's a ballpark
> figure for how much the 12,000 mile service will cost at a dealer?

They are biggies, mine woulda been around $600 IIRC but I save a bunch by
doing the fluid changes (brake, coolant, oil) myself and just leaving the
valve check and fork oil change to the dealer since I'm not ready to
tackle those myself yet.  One of the biggest PIA's they tell me is getting
the airbox back on after removal, something about hose and fitting
alignments being a bear?

Of course this also depends on how comfortable you are doing things like
that...

> Also, I want to get the heated grips, but I've heard of people having a lot of
> problems with them not working.  Am I better off getting generic heated grips,
> or sticking with the Triumph parts?

I haven't heard of any reliability probs with the Triumph heated grips
myself, but since I don't have 'em I'm about to install $20 Kimpex grip
heater kit which consists of panels, wiring, a switch and a resistor
that's available from www.azmotorsports.com.  I'm assuming I can tap into
the existing connector for the OEM grips, anyone with thoughts or pin-out
info?

> Lastly, anybody want to buy a 1997 Triumph Thunderbird?  You can see it at
> http://home.earthlink.net/~lau8

Nice bike, that's my idea of what a cruiser should be, not the Road Pig I
had to ride home and store for a friend the other day.  Man that thing
don't turn!

 --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\