[ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #508

RE:   OK, I am thinking of adding the rear rack to the ST in hopes of some
day
adding the rear box.  Anyway, what is a decent price for these?  Are they
easy to install?  And what is the best place to get them?

Eric,

I recently added the rack to my '01 ST.  I like to use it but if you are
considering getting the top-box I'd suggest you get them at the same time -
it'll cost an additional couple of hundred bucks if you get them
separately.
In my opinion, Triumph made the rack unnecessarily complex to install, but
I think it is overbuilt for CYA reasons.  If you have the hard bags
already, it is a real PIA to install (not much room for both side
brackets), but should be fairly easy without.  You also should know that a
large part of the under-the-seat bin will become inaccessible as it is
covered by a heavy-duty metal plate.  It may sound like I'm bitching, but
once the whole thing was installed I've been very pleased.

Speaking of hard bags - the main reason the dealers do not have them
installed is because all those tyre-kicking "customers" swing their buckled
footwear over the seat and neatly down the shiny painted bags' sides.
That's why most dealers have their Trophy bags displayed separately.

Paul.