RE: [ST] Question about trees and other sight seeing in the NW

Tom, one more suggestion.

Since you're going from L.A. to the bay area, I'd strongly suggest taking
the scenic route up CA Hwy 1.  However it doesn't seem like you'll have the
time to do that if you're getting a new tire in L.A., and hoping to be in
Pittsburg later that day.

So let me suggest another possible scenic detour.  Angeles Crest Hwy is an
extremely fun ride.  CA Hwy 2 goes north out of La Canada.  Once on Hwy 2,
there are several options for getting through the San Gabriel mountains and
into the Central valley to head north.  It has been a long time since I've
been on those roads, but I'm sure it will be well worth the time, and on a
week day, they should be fairly uncrowded.  I'll send you the mapquest link
directly.

One other good piece of information to take with you is the California Dept
of Transportation (CalTrans) road condition number: (800) 427-7623.  Dial,
and then specify the road you want to check, and it will tell you if there
is any scheduled work or delays for that road.  And most of the time, it is
accurate!

Happy riding.

Peter Chittum