RE: [ST] '02 SSSA recall? - RAT website

> 99% of Triumph parts ARE available in the US. They have
> a large warehouse in GA. Almost all parts can be had in
> two days, if your dealer is willing to order them. Most
> dealers sit on orders until they have a certain
> quantity, they do not order one part at a time. The ONLY
> part I've had to wait for from the UK was a complete
> Tiger frame (due to the required VIN number stamping).
> Triumph is fine for parts - it's the dealers that are
> letting you down. Pressure your dealer to be more
> attentive. But do bear in mind it is expensive to
> overnight one bolt.
>
> jim (I work at a Triumph dealership)

Most of the local dealers here (New Mexico) do not stock anything but the
wear parts anymore (filters, chains, brake pads, etc).  Many dealers only
order from the various manufacturers once per week.  So, if the order went
out Tuesday morning and you are in there Tuesday afternoon, you are probably
SOL for awhile.  A good friend is a mechanic at a local Honda shop which has
a couple dozen machines at any one time in boxes waiting for the parts order
to come in.

A good dealer will get the customer what he needs as quickly as possible.
Part of this is having the basics in stock and ready to go.  Really isn't
much call for cranks, cams, or frames, but having the oil filters, air
filters, chains, brake pads, shims, gaskets, etc really makes a large
difference for the home mechanic.

I have ordered a few items in the last few months from Jim and every part
has been in my hands in no more than a week and most within three days.  My
local dealer couldn't even cough up an oil filter when they were selling
Triumph!

I do believe that Triumph has made a great leap in parts availability in the
last couple of years.  Do they need to do more?  Yes!   But a lot of the
blame has to also be placed on dealers who aren't on top of their customers
needs.  TOA needs to put more pressure on dealers who aren't performing and
then give the dealers the parts, warranty service, and technical service
they need when they need it.

Rant mode off

Dan Wallander
'99ST