[ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #516

Re:  several things

1)  Kevin, I came to this country 20 years ago and found MANY things about
driving here very odd (and I'm not talking about driving on the right hand
side).  However, I accepted that I was in a foreign country and people  did
things differently - if I wanted it the old way, I could always go back
(and do as often as I can afford).  With respect to the so-called "HD
crowd" you're wrong - there isn't one.  There are so many of those machines
out there that the riders span all walks of life and therefore HD owners
are extremely varied.  I ride with a number of them who are kind,
thoughtful of others and will stop to help a fellow biker in any situation.
I'm DELIGHTED to ride a Triumph so I'm not seen as one of the masses, but I
haven't met any Harley person that holds that against me.  Re:
lane-splitting - I'm with you there and find it very frustrating that it's
not practised, but I'd strongly advise you not to try it anywhere in the US
with the possible exception of Southern California.

2)  Parts and dealers:  the very best dealer in the U.S. (bar none) for
classic British bikes and the modern Triumphs is, IMHO, Baxter Cycle in
Marne, IA.  They've always had the parts I've wanted in 2 days.  They're
extremely helpful, friendly and are enthusiasts themselves.  They also
happen to have what is arguably the best stock of roadworthy classic
British bikes anywhere and ship them all over the world - including
Britain.

3)  Fuel gauge:  I don't get it....I owned a '96 Trophy for 3 happy years
and the fuel gauge was bang-on accurate.  The moment the needle reached the
red zone, I had to switch to reserve, and when it reached the left end of
the red I was out of gas.  I know the ST is injected and has an
irregularly-shaped tank, but Triumph could do a lot better than with the
present piece of junk.

4)  Would I buy Triumph again?  Absolutely.  And from Baxter's 70 miles
away rather than from my local dealer 5 miles from my home.

Paul.