Re: [ST] Various Items for a new member to the list...

Lane-splitting: I lane-split every day on my commute into NYC from New
Jersey.  It's legal (or at least not specifically illegal) in NJ, illegal
but not enforced in NY.  I've never had any problems with cars, trucks or
pick-ups trying to cut me off or otherwise stop me.  I wouldn't even
consider commuting by bike if I couldn't lane split, or if other drivers
made as dangerous as you seem to think it is.   I find most drivers are
reasonably courteous; many move over to give me more space to pass when they
see me coming.  I've never had to "make use of my finger" lanesplitting
here.  And many times, I've felt compelled to wave thanks to people for
giving me more room.  Yeah, I've met my share of a**holes while commuting,
who change lanes unpredictably or  tail gate aggressively.  But nothing
related to lane-splitting.

IMHO, a**holes and d**kheads seem more numerous than they really are because
their dumb or stupid or dangerous behavior sticks in your memory.  In
reality, they're probably no more than 2 or 3% of the population.

Licensing issues: I also moved here from the UK.  Depends who you talk to I
guess.  When I went to get my motorcycle license, the first person at DMV
told me my UK license was no good, and I'd have to take a road test.  So I
just went and talked to someone else.  From that far nicer person, I was
told I only needed to take the "written" test and road test was not needed.
And the written test was a multiple choice affair that a chimpanzee with
brain damage could ace.

> First time I tried it couple
> people cut me up - don't ever recall this happening in the UK (see above
> re: road manners - and please don't tell me it is just MA drivers as I
> travel a lot (airports !!) and it is the same, IMHO, everywhere in the
> US).  Very sad really - good job I hadn't lost the use of my finger
> though - not very PC I know but made me feel better, the d***k was
> driving a pickup

Mort Harries
'00 ST
Haworth NJ