[ST] Battery Tender

I have a Battery Tender Plus which for more than a year has done it's job
keeping my bike's battery well charged.  Prior to setting off on a 2500
mile trip (up to Canada and around the north shore of Lake Superior - a
ride I highly recommend)I decided to "top up" the charge.  Instead of
achieving the "green light" which denotes a full charge, the LED remained a
flashing red.  As I did not wish to be stranded in the wilds of Ontario
with a sudden battery failure (happened with my Trophy) I purchased a new
one, even though I only had 2500 miles on the clock at that point.  Well,
even after a couple of days at a time of charging the new battery I still
only get the flashing red LED.  Does anyone have any ideas?
Paul.