Re: [ST] Latest Tune Question/Lane Splitting

It doesn't do it when it's cold because the fuel circuit is
automatically enriched just like you had manually activated
a choke. But when it gets warm the extra fuel is turned off
- - same as a choke.  Mine was the same way. You'll also find
that if you go up into the mountains - up in elevation - it
will run better. The higher you go the richer the mixture
becomes because the barometric pressure drops.

The answer to this problem is to richen the mixture at idle
and at low speed. Have your dealer adjust the idle mixture
to 3% CO - as measured on the CO tester. That should correct
the problem.  I adjust my own with a Techlusion box. Go to
their web site. The information about how it works is there.
There is a problem with the Techlusion box however, the ECU
light stays on.  That's the left most light on the dash
panel. Doesn't hurt anything. I ignore mine.

Colt4530 wrote:

> That's EXACTLY my problem.  It's still there, just not as bad.  In fact,
> I told the dealer it didn't do it when cold, but did after it gets over
> about 150 deg.  While it's much better, now, it still surges at cruise
> at or below 2k.
>
> How do you adjust the idle mixture?
>
> These guys have been selling bikes and parts for a long time, but have
> not had Triumph long.  They may still be a bit green.  I'll try to
> figure out how to "help" them.
>
> John
>
> jhseltzer wrote:
>
>> The driveability problem you describe is caused by a lean mixture or
>> too little fuel at idle and in the lower rpm ranges.  My 2000 ST had
>> the same problem and the dealer was unable to fix it. You may be aware
>> that Triumph requires the dealers to purchase a Gunison carbon
>> monoxide (CO) monitor. They are supposed to adjust the idle mixture
>> whenever they install a new tune. To make a long story short. My bike
>> was a pain in the ass for about 12 months. I finally bought a
>> Techlusion FI adjuster and using my own Gunison meter adjusted the CO
>> at idle to 3%. My ST runs great now. Come to find out my dealer's
>> Gunison is off by 1.5%.
>>
>> John H. Seltzer
>> 2906 Alvarado Drive
>> Bellingham, WA 98229