Re[2]: [ST] octane & the Mobil 1 questions

On Sunday, September 15, 2002, 9:08:09 PM, Erik Miner wrote:

> As for Mobil 1, the Mobil 1 15-50wt  auto oil does NOT have the friction
> modifiers that the other auto grades have.. Just look at the label as long
> as it does not say
> "Energy Conserving" all is well  FWIW MCN did a very comprehensive test of
> oils a while back . 15-50wt Mobil 1 has as much anti wear agents as the MX4T...
> The fellow who did the report for MCN also posted his findings on the
> Internet BMW Riders site take a read
> http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/oilreport.html

> Lots of folks out there have run Mobil 1 15-50wt  for MANY, Many miles with
> zero reported clutch or other wear problems.

I believe that Mobil has recently changed the formulation of the Mobil
1 15w50 weight oil.  A few months back, I purchased two quarts of this
oil for my oil-sucking RS at the local Wal-Mart.  When I got home, I
noticed that one bottle said "Energy Conserving" while the other did
not.  Otherwise, the two containers looked identical.  I know that in
the past, this oil did not say "Energy Conserving".  Every time I've
checked the containers in the store now, I see they indicate "Energy
Conserving", thus my belief Mobil has changed the oil.

I'm using Motul 5100 15w50 synthetic blend now, which can be had for
around $6/qt.

- -Keith
'00 RS