[ST] My odometer/trip meter is possessed

G'day Everyone,
    Lately it seems i fix one little niggling problem and another pops up
....sigh. This time it's the odo/trip meter. I went for a spin on the
weekend, pulled up for a smoke at a nice spot about 100kms out of town, when
i hopped back on i noticed the trip meter was reading 0.0 Km, eh? i says to
myself. I pushed a few times on the button but couldn't get the odometer
reading to display, so headed home. I noticed that the trip was not working,
just sat there stubbornly reporting the 0.0 Km so i kept jabbing at it and
eventually it started to read again, but still refused to show the odometer.
At exactly 1 km it reset back to 0.0 and hasn't moved since, despite much
jabbing and cursing. I tried running the bike through a few heat up cool
down cycles , no dice. Checked the archives, no dice. Anyone out there have
this problem? I'm heading down to the Aussie GP at Phillip Island in a few
weeks, which will be a round trip of about 4000kms, i really don't need any
more of these annoying little problems. Any help gratefully accepted.
Would i buy another if this was stolen??     I'll try my luck with a
Daytona.
Regards
Bill Wilkin
'99 ST   "Mary"