[ST] RE: st-digest V2002 #516

"the RMV (Registry of Motor Vehicles to my fellow Englishmen) in MA"

It *is* MA!

"Filtering/Lane splitting /Whatever you want to call it"

We seem to call it Lane splitting.  It is said to be popular in
California. I consider it horribly unsafe.  As the very least some jerk
could open the door "accidently" and you'd be screwed.  I'm in Tennessee
and I don't think it's legal here.  I've never seen it done, either.

Welcome to the U.S.!  As you tour other parts of the country, you'll
find is more different from MA than like it.  It saddens me that the
birthplace of our republic has fallen so far from the ideals of the
Founders.  There are few states as restrictive as MA.

Come to TN and ride the Dragon!  www.dealsgap.com

John

Reasons in favor of lane splitting;

1. Easier on the engine (an on a Sprint ST, yourself as well!) if air
is moving through the radiator
2. It saves a ton of time.
3. It's just as safe if not safer than the alternative. I've never
heard of anyone getting hurt lane splitting when it was being done in
a reasonable manner. However, I personally know two people, and have
heard of many others, who were hit by cars from behind while they
were stopped in traffic.

Probably in Tennessee you don't need to lane split. If you spent time
in a congested California city where a two hour commute is normal,
you'd be lane splitting too. Anyone who can't thread their bike
safely between two cars that are 6 feet apart probably shouldn't be
riding any ways.

Hwy lanes are 12 feet wide, cars are only 6.

>We seem to call it Lane splitting.  It is said to be popular in
>California. I consider it horribly unsafe.  As the very least some jerk

>could open the door "accidently" and you'd be screwed.  I'm in
>Tennessee and I don't think it's legal here.  I've never seen it done,
>either.

It is indeed a pity about not being able to 'filter' - well legally in
any case :)  As I think most riders in the UK will agree, being able to
filter is one of the many good reasons to buy a bike in the UK - I think
there is more traffic so maybe it is more necessary.  The majority of
car drivers in the UK seem to know and understand that bikes will
filter.  As you say it is much easier, quicker and can be as safe as
riding normally if everyone does their stuff - the rider and the car
driver.

- - --
Matt Knowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707)