Re: [ST] 23000 mi problem

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, TIM wrote:

> rotational clunk, clunk, clunk until up to a constant speed.  Could not
> isolate the sound because of the helmet I was wearing, but from the feel in
> the foot pegs, it seemed to be coming from the left rear area of the motor.
> close to the left foot peg.  Any similar experiences or suggestions?

Sounds like the chain is whacking the underside of the SSSA, checked for
tension?

the book at just about 35mm.  The old chain had tight spots so this was
tough,  the new 530-ZVM now has about 6k on it and haven't had to adjust
it yet, but did when I replaced the chain rubbing strip.

Has anyone else noticed the chain rubbing strip really gets rubbed
on?  That's where the black stuff on my rear sprocket is coming from it
turns out.  On top of the SSSA toward the front the supporting piece of
strip is being beveled away, I'll have to see about some pics.

So I'm now curious as to how others rubbing strips are looking and how
much free play you are all running in your chains.  I've always heard
loose is better than tight, but those I ride with seem to think mine
always looks loose even at 35mm.

Thoughts?

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail