[ST] RE: sprocket and chain

> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:57:10 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Bil Swartz <bil@xxxxxxxxxx>
> I did mine at 15k with a DID 530-ZVM (the big beefy chain), and stock
> Triumph sprockets.  The front sprocket has some sort of rubber dampener in
> it which I don't believe we'll find in aftermarket.  The rear sprocket
> you'll have some options from Afam, etc.
>
> Funny thing though, the new washer I got with the new sprocket looked
> nothing like the one that was on there with the two bendable tabs that
> bend over the nut to prevent it from loosening.  The new one looked like a
> series of tabs or teeth, small, around the inside of the washer.  Anyone
> seen these and know what's up?  I reused the one I had.
Bil,

I had one of these 'conical tab' [my words] affairs last time round. If
anything, it's easier to use, as you don't have to align the tab with a
flat - the annular ring bends over anywhere.

BTW, my recommendation is the OEM kit with DID VM chain (mine) and steel
sprockets (with front cushion). Cheaper than buying separates (at least here
in the UK). It's certainly available as a 18/43/108 combination - possibly
others. There is a difference in the tensile strength of the ZVM over the
VM, but IMHO, unless you're a wheelie monster or pulling a chair, you're not
going to exceed the elastic limit of the VM chain, and thus, the 'Z' is
unnecessary. The Z class chain is designed for the likes of the 'Busa.

Again, IMHO, the keys to good chain life, given an initially good quality
product (which, as far as I'm concerned excludes Regina), are lubrication
and adjustment.

Regards,
- --
BRG